Observant readers already know that I’m a huge fan of the darkly re-imagined Battlestar Galactica on the SciFi channel. Before you tune out, take notice that this show is NOT at all like the cheesy 1970s show that was a Star Wars ripoff. The new version is a very dark story of holocaust, betrayal, and survival with no bug-eyed alien or ray gun in sight. It has even won the prestigious Peabody Award for "distinguished achievement and meritorious service" – the thinking person’s Emmy.
Now Salon has ranked this as the most underappreciated show on television, and offered up a fun list of ten reasons to NOT watch Galactica:
- 10. I like my science fiction peopled with multi-nostriled characters sporting thick, blue, leathery skin. Too many of the “Battlestar Galactica” characters are preposterously hot, and stubbornly refuse to ooze green, viscous liquids. Who wants that?
- 9. William Shatner hasn’t made a single guest appearance!
- 8. There’s too much realistic adventure and too many pulse-racing fight scenes; I don’t like to get that excited.
- 7. The Cylons (the terrorists!) seem to exhibit real emotions and possibly humanlike feelings, creating constant existential crises for the Galactica staff. That’s silly. In real life, the good guys are always clearly distinguishable from the bad guys.
- 6. A woman president? Come on, it’s already science fiction, why tip over into the realm of fantasy like “Commander-in-Chief”?
- 5. I don’t want a President Roslin, with her clear-eyed pragmatism and steely political instincts, when I can have the portentous speechifying of President Bartlet!
- 4. The personal crises on the show — breast cancer, loss of loved ones, the brutal disillusionment of loving someone you can never have — are unbelievable. They live on a spaceship! Now, if they lived on Wisteria Lane …
- 3. Where’s the fat, goofy husband?
- 2. The gripping, conflicted experiment with democracy aboard Galactica seems too unrealistic. Politicians make good decisions and elections are always fair!
- 1. No light sabers. Not a one.
So if you’re interested, check out the online episode Scar at the Galactica site at SciFi. If you get hooked, the third season begins on Friday, October 6. And don’t worry if you’re way behind on the storyline. They’re showing a one-hour special that will get you up to speed at 6pm Central that night, followed by the two-hour third season premiere. Set your DVR/VCR! Or you can always purchase any episode of Galactica for download from iTunes, or pick up the DVD sets. Join us in watching the best drama on television.